[hpsdr] Questions re: FPGA firmware

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Tue Oct 30 08:50:53 PDT 2012

Hi John,

To add to Alex's response here are a few additional comments:

1) It isn't clear at this point what the max number of receivers will be in view of the other features that must also be a part of the code.  Certainly users are free to use whatever version of firmware they wish and are not limited to the officially released or current official HSPDR version(s) whatever that/those may be.

2)  The initial (production) version of the Hermes firmware (Hermes v1.8) incorporates the latest automatic/manual Alex filter switching and VNA support.  It was found that implementing more than 2 receivers with the new additional code seemed to cause some (unexpected) intermittent switching errors to sporadically occur with regard to Alex filter switching in particular so in order not to slow the testing/production of the Hermes boards it was decided to provide the boards initially with 2 receivers implemented in the initial firmware release with the idea that more receivers will be made available when those and/or any other switching issues are sorted out and fixed.

3) FPGA space and FPGA performance both, I think.  It has been observed that when running with 100% loading of the FPGA (i.e., using 100% of the logic resources) can under some circumstances lead to timing problems and erratic behavior so care must be taken and careful testing must be performed when using heavy FPGA loading.  Hermes v1.8 uses 67% of the logic resources and so avoids the issues sometimes observed with heavy FPGA loading.

4) Yes.  Phil had intended to post the Hermes source code to the SVN when the Hermes units shipped.  I will be happy to send to you directly/immediately the source code for Hermes v1.8 if you wish as I think Phil has been swamped with work lately and hasn't gotten to the SVN uploading task yet and may at the moment be taking a well-deserved/needed holiday away from home for the next week or two.

5) Yes.  Hermes v1.8 was built using the free web version of Quartus II v11.1 sp2.

73,  Joe K5SO