[hpsdr] Angelia and Hermes External Clock problem

Helmut, DC6NY dc6ny at gmx.de
Tue Aug 20 03:25:16 PDT 2013

Hi Mike,

you are absolutely right, an additional 3V Schmitt-trigger would be fine to
provide a clean square pulse.  On the other hand you know that HERMES and of
course ANGELIA are an integration circuitry of the Atlas based cards with
solid experience  of the performance.  The small on-board TCXO always
exhibits a short time stability of +/- 2 Hz providing a simple clipped sine
pulse.
I’m not responsible for the design, but I never saw a big issue in the
current version of Hermes in daily use due to dropouts.
BTW on my Atlas based configuration I using a external homebrew 10 MHz
source (not identical with Excalibur), but also prophylactically equipped
with a 3V Schmitt-trigger, hi.

73, Helmut, DC6NY