[hpsdr] LINE-OUT on Hermes J16?

KA5FPT Paul ka5fpt at tx.rr.com
Sun Aug 25 19:09:28 PDT 2013

John,
Looking at the Hermes schematic, J16 carries a number of audio outputs
according to the Hermes documents.

J16 pins 5 and 6 is the Headphone out and comes from U2 pins 9 and 10.

J16 pins 7 and 8 is Line audio out and comes from U2 pins 12 and 13.
This is also fed to U21 (pins 4 and 21) which provides speaker audio.

J16 pins 14 and 15 is labeled as SPKOUT1 and SPKOUT2 according to the
schematic, and comes from U21 pins 15 (ROUT-) and 22 (ROUT+). This also
feeds J8 which is the "RIGHT SPEAKER HEADER".

There are no connections from the Left Speaker output (U21 pins 3 and
10) to J16.

I am not sure what the audio level output is for J16 pins 7 and 8. You
said you were using powered speakers and I would think it would be enough.

The question would be are the speaker out connections working? I can not
find anything that would mute audio line out. If the speaker connections
are working then obviously Audio Line Out must be working. There is a
line coming from the Altera chip to U21 pin 11 which is labeled as the
mute. I am sure someone more knowledgeable then me will chime in.

Paul Cecil
KA5FPT
DeSoto, Texas