[hpsdr] Janus as sound card

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 09:44:48 PST 2013

Chris, when the Janus was designed, it was a replacement
Analog-to-digital and Digital-to-analog device for I and Q
processing for the Flex-Radio SDR-1000.  You could use a PC
sound card to process the I and Q signals for the SDR-1000.
This group started as a way of seeing how much performance could
be improved if we bypassed ordinary and higher-end sound cards
and went for maximum performance.  The group was originally
called Xylo-SDR, and changed to HPSDR and then forked into
OpenHPSDR.  Guys in the group looked at making Janus act as a PC
sound card, but the machinations needed to be a "sound card" for
Microsoft Windows was a lot more effort than anyone was willing
to devote to the project.

My SDR-1000 did indeed perform significantly better with Janus
than with my M-Audio Delta-44 PC sound card.

Current software has dropped Janus/Ozymandias support, so the
card is not as useful as it was.

73,
Mike - AA8K