[hpsdr] Hermes card v Anan-10 and Anan-100 questions please.

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sat Jan 5 07:37:52 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

Yes, of course you can.  Here I use a Hermes board to drive an external (albeit 12V) 100W PA module from a Drake TR-7 which in turn drives an Ameritron AL-1200 (220VAC) linear amp to 1.5 KW.  Hermes doesn't care, it all works fine together.

To answer your question:

> What are the differences between the Anan-10 and Anan-100
> transceivers, and the Hermes board, power amplifier section aside, and
> are there any things I need to be aware of please?

There is no difference, power amplifier sections aside, between Hermes and the ANAN-10 and ANAN-100.  The ANAN-10 and ANAN-100 both use a Hermes board and they simply connect the amplifier/filter sections to the Hermes board.

One item to watch for is that if you use one of the open drain outputs on Hermes to enable your PA be sure that you don't exceed the open voltage limit on the Hermes open drain device.

Also keep in mind that, if you wish to use an Alex filter set, the directional coupler on the Tx Alex board is designed for a nominal 100W rf level, not 200W.

But don't confuse the ANAN-100 with the ANAN-100D which uses an Angelia board instead of a Hermes board.  They are quite different as Angelia uses dual coherent ADCs for dual Rx.

73,  Joe K5SO