[hpsdr] KISS KONSOLE code

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sat Jul 27 17:38:21 PDT 2013

Johannes,
   The digital down-conversion occurs in the hardware (in the FPGA).
The resulting I & Q values are then transmitted to the PC via USB or
Ethernet.  I don't have KK source code available at the moment, so I
can't comment on the note you quoted.  The I & Q data include the full
bandwidth associated with the selected sampling rate.  Digital filtering
is applied around zero frequency to select the signal at the center of
the downconverted band.  Other signals within this bandwidth are
eliminated.  It would be possible to do a second digital down-conversion
(in the PC) of these signals, shifting them to zero frequency, rather
than changing the hardware digital downconversion.

73,
Dave
WA8YWQ

On 7/27/2013 8:19 AM, Johannes Sedlmeier wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm an RF engineer from Germany and I am currently working to fit the
> KISS KONSOLE program to my needs.
>
> I wondered, if there is a proper downconversion done somewhere in the
> code. I could not find anything, except a note from the programmer in
> "EthernetDevice.cs" that says, that
>
>   //temporary -- soon will do digital down-conversion
>   // with sin&  cos, so we'll actually have I&  Q data to enter.
>
> So it seems, that only the Real Part of the received signal is used. Is this correct or am I missing something?
>

> Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your work you have done so far on the HPSDR-Project.
>

> Greetings,
>
> Johannes Sedlmeier

Clear Stream Technologies