[hpsdr] Advantages/Disadvantages of Pin diode switching?

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Sun Jun 2 23:07:53 PDT 2013

I've modified my hermes enclosure to prepare it to support a qrp amp.
What I've done is add 3 different boards (all mounted to the inside
bottom of my Hammond enclosure): 1) The Hardrock 50 driver amp
(available separately as a kit for $35 from HobbyPCB -- used to boost
the 0.5W Hermes output to 5W), 2) A small 5V keying circuit for the
driver amp (the driver amp requires 5V to key it, which is normally
provided from the Hardrock 50 amp board,  and 3) a T/R relay board based
on Gerd's Antenna Switch design.

I split 2 and 3 above into separate breadboards since I'm not sure what
my final T/R switch solution will be, and I'll probably replace the T/R
board with either a better T/R relay board or a pin diode switching
board. After doing some research, my first choice amp is the Elecraft
KXPA100, which is not yet available. One of its features is pin diode
switching. I would lose the benefit of that as long as I am using a T/R
relay to drive the amp. After doing some research, I'm not clear on why
it appears that some people prefer relay switching to pin diode
switching. I understand that there are some limitations for high power
cases, but Elecraft seems to think it is an advantage for their 100W
amp. So I'm wondering why 1) Apollo has both choices, 2) it appears
prototype designs of the Hardrock50 used pin diode switching, but the
final design uses a T/R relay, and 3) most amps that could use pin diode
switching do not us it.

There must be some disadvantages in using pin diode switching, but I
haven't found a discussion that points them out. I wouldn't think it
would cost significantly more. Are there some issues with reliability or
signal loss?

Thanks,

John
AC0ZG