[hpsdr] Munin heat sink and spreader

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 03:14:02 PDT 2013

Thanks gentlemen.

I was thinking of the metal particles providing the thermal
conductivity (Wiedemann–Franz law), but I suspect that the per
cent of contact area is small.

When I held the spreader and sink together to check for fit, I
noticed the gap and turned the spreader over to see if it was
bowed.  I used a metal straight edge against the spreader and
the spreader was flat.  Looking at the reflections in the
spreader, I couldn't find any optical distortion.  I am
impressed with the quality of that spreader.

Longitudinally, the heat sink is very straight.  It just curves
transversely.  Thanks for the confirmation Berndt.

I used to maintain copper resistance-welding fixtures
(ignitrons; too long a duration and they would open the 400 amp
line fuses), and used lathe, mill, surface grinder, and shaper.

I'm concerned about someone else removing too much material in
search of flatness.  Too deep and it would require a shim to
match the transistor to board height requirement; and make two
more thermal interfaces.  Buying another drilled and tapped heat
sink would be costly.

I hope to carefully file the sink and take < 1 mm away.

73,
Mike - AA8K