[hpsdr] Follow-up on Hermes-Lite

Steve Haynal steve at softerhardware.com
Tue Apr 15 20:48:21 PDT 2014

Yes, the Hermes-Lite should be usable as a VNA, although I have not tested
this. Currently, it runs in half-duplex mode. I tried full-duplex but had
some issues with noise at various front-end gain levels. I have asked ADI
for help with this. You will have to use full-duplex for the VNA and the
levels of noise I saw probably won't matter much for a VNA. Ideally, I'd
like to see half-duplex for regular operation to keep the power consumption
low, and then switch to full-duplex when needed for a VNA.

The design is now only 1 RX and 1 TX to keep the compile time down. The
limitation yo will run into when compiling with 2 RX and 1 TX is not enough
RAM resources. The Hermes had some large buffers because I believe it
could. These will have to be reduced to fit 2 RX and 1 TX.

73,

Steve
KF7O