[hpsdr] 20140126cuSDR64 & TK1

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 09:37:01 PDT 2014

Hi

Just thought I'd report progress I've made building cuSDR64 on my recently acquired Jetson TK1.

Building Qt-5 was reasonably straightforward. I've been using Qt for some years now, building the libraries from sources under Fedora Linux & OSX. I found the published build instructions using git a bit longwinded but eventually succeeded. Does anyone know what the -j4 option on make does?

Download of the cuSDR source was easy, thanks to Brandt, and, after changing the symlink in /usr/bin so that qmake pointed to the Qt-5 version in /usr/local/Qt-5/bin I could run qmake at the top level of cuSDR to bring the Makefile up to date. I didn't do a make clean so some .o files reported "wrong file type" but removing the 3 offending .o files led me to the next problem - no libfftw3.

I downloaded the source for fftw3 ( wget -c -t0 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/fftw3_3.3.3.orig.tar.gz ) and apart from configure requiring a couple of qualifiers ( ./configure --enable-single --enable-shared ) that library built and installed smoothly.

Eventually cuSDR64 built and I could run it on the TK1

It took me a while to find my way around the display (I've not run cuSDR on any platform before) but everything appeared to be working. My Atlas hardware was correctly reported along with ancient f/w versions and I could hear audio from Mercury.

The one problem I'm having is tuning. I don't have a USB mouse with a roller wheel in the shack so the only way I seem to be able to tune is to drag the frequency bar under the display left-right. That is far too crude to tune an individual QSO but got me some audio recognisable as a contact.

One thing which alarms me slightly is that the CPU usage reported is in the range 152-175% I assume that is reporting that more than one core (maybe more than 2) is in use?

Exciting to be able to use my TK1 in anger.

Cheers & 73

Chris G4NUX