[hpsdr] Radio (Board) Identification

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Mon Aug 11 11:15:47 PDT 2014

Doug,

RR, understood; but I don’t entirely agree with your assessment of the present situation.  Let me respond to each of the issues to which I refer:

1) Answering your question:  Yes, the firmware Verilog design contains the DEVICE ID number in the Verilog code itself; it’s coded into the ethernet packets directly.  For example, the hardware ID value for Angelia is hardcoded in the Angelia Verilog design into line1059 of the TX_MAC module in the Verilog design.  It’s done similarly, if not identically, in the Verilog firmware designs for all the other HPSDR and ANAN-series boards.

2)  I see what it is that you are trying to accomplish and it’s an admirable goal I think.  It seems to me (with one exception which I will mention next) that the current hardware ID scheme works just fine for identifying the hardware to match with firmware.  I am not aware of any firmware named for a hardware board that does not work in that board, regardless of the configuration of the board (the exception I mentioned notwithstanding).  Namely, the hardware ID specifies whether the board is a Metis, Hermes, Griffin, Angelia, or Orion.  The user should be aware, for example, which board his radio uses and therefore be able to match the board with the necessary firmware since the firmware filename includes the board name with which it is intended to be used.

3) The exception I mention above has to do with the minor difference in Apache Labs versions of firmware that are labeled “b” suffix, in which the switch point for 10m filters is different from radios using Alex filters.  The operational effect of not using a “b” version in an ANAN radio that has the PA filters is perhaps a bit lower maximum output power on 10m; that’s it.  Otherwise the firmware will work just fine.

4) I agree with you that labeling firmware versions with a “b” suffix is not a good idea at all because the firmware version reporting protocol within firmware does not allow for letters in the firmware version numbers.  In my opinion, an entirely new firmware version number (using numbers exclusively, no sub-letters) should be used, even for that small distinction of the 10m filter switch point.  I always avoid using letter suffix nomenclature in released firmware versions, because there is no way to distinguish those “modified” versions from the original versions by looking at the version numbers being reported by the firmware.  I much prefer to use an entirely different firmware version number which is acceptable in the current firmware version number protocol (no letters) and easily distinguishable from anything else by simply looking at the firmware version number that is reported by the firmware.

With regard to loading the wrong firmware, if someone loads Metis code into Angelia, as one example, there really is no excuse for doing it as the Metis firmware has the “Metis” name in the firmware filename.  It’s always a recoverable event in any case, even if it happens.  Granted you must use a blaster cable to recover but that’s the penalty you SHOULD have to pay for not reading the name, in my view.  Next time you will read it.

Further, quite simply, if you own an ANAN radio and don’t even know what major board type the radio has in it  (Hermes, Angelia, or Orion) you likely are not well suited to be a user of that radio, as you’re going to have tremendous difficulties operating the thing and updating its firmware later on; my personal opion, of course.

I understand your desire to make your code bulletproof against ignorance, and I applaud the attempt, but I think we can go overboard in that area.  There are some people who are simply not well suited to using SDR, as I have come to appreciate.  I used to think otherwise but sadly now I don’t.

These are complex, high-performance radios and they need marginally compentent users at least in order to be able to realize the advantages that they can offer.  Again, my opion.  You’re all welcome to have a different opinion, if you wish.

73, Joe K5SO