[hpsdr] Bricked my Angelia: Help installing Bootloader using USB Blaster cable

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Fri Aug 22 10:20:32 PDT 2014

Hi Larry,

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble programming your 100D.  I suspect that when you first had your problem you could’ve recovered by using Bootloader mode, but perhaps something went awry.  No problem, it’s all recoverable no matter what you did.

Sounds like you have the Quartus II Programmer and your blaster cable talking fine to each other so you needn’t worry about trying to load v14 Quartus from Altera (in fact, I recommend not using v14).  Here I use Quartus II v13.0 for most of my work but the Quartus II Programmer in v12 or likely any other earlier version will work to program an EEPROM config device so I wouldn’t worry about finding a particular version of Quartus II Programmer; it’s not that critical which you use, generally (at least in my experience).

The Angelia board uses an EPCS128 EEPROM configuration device (not an EPCS16) so that is the device you should specify in the Quartus II Programmer.

You should be plugging your blaster cable onto P2 and loading the file “output_file.pof” for Angelia.  The “output_file.pof” contains both the bootloader code and the binary FPGA image that gets loaded later into the FPGA.

If you erroneously load “Angelia.pof” you will not be loading the bootloader code into the EEPROM with the FPGA image, you’ll only be loading the FPGA image.  It will run and come up on power up but there is not bootloader code in it so should you later wish to use “Bootloader” mode you cannot.  Use the “output_file.pof” to load into the EEPROM and you’ll be good.

73, Joe K5SO