[hpsdr] Computer hardware advice

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Sun Feb 9 09:42:15 PST 2014

Conrad,
     I am happily using an I3, 3.1ghz CPU, 6GB on RAM under Win7 64
Pro.  No problem running PowerSDR mrX PS 3.2.8,  Skype, Email, browser,
and FLDigi at the same time for use by my ANAN-100D.  I am also using 2
monitors.  The internal graphics card drives my HP 1920 by 1080 monitor
and a Startech.com USB to VGA convertor is driving my Hyudnai 1024 by
768 (If I remember correctly) monitor.  I usually have PowerSDR on the
little HYundai monitor which sits right next to its big brother.  No
problem moving it from one monitor to the other with a mouse.

     I have a Netgear N600 WiFi router with 1GB Ethernet but use an
external TP-Link TL SG108 8 port gigabit switch for connection between
the computer and radio.  I chose the switch partly because it had a
metal housing, always welcome in ham shacks.  I also use shielded cat 5
cable where possible, but particularly on the link between the radio and
the switch.  Ehternet noise has not been much of a problem here, but I
have battled that problem in high density environments and have the
scars to prove it.

     While I can use WiFi to connect between my desktop or Android
Tablet and my ANAN=100D, I can only recommend it under controlled
conditions.  My WiFI router sits within 2 ft of my desktop and 4' from
the radio, so that portion of the link is pretty solid. However, when I
am using my Android Tablet to control my radio, fading and dropouts can
become problematic as I more around the house.  You may need to run at a
lower sample rate to keep your Wifi bandwidth reasonable.  When running
at a 384khz sample rate, I was using about 84mbs on the ANAN-100D
radio's 100mbs ethernet link. This was just too much for my WiFi router,
so I drop the sample rate when I expect to operate via WiFi.

HTH,
Bill KC9XG