[hpsdr] Hermes Failure, Can anyone help ???

Bob Segrest Bob.Segrest at BSegE.com
Sat Jan 25 07:49:49 PST 2014

Hello Everyone,

My Hermes/Anan rig has been repaired and is on its way back to me as I write
this note.  As my experience may of use to other in the future, I will
summarize the details here.

I purchased a Hermes board from the TAPR build and an ANAN-10
enclosure/amplifier kit from Apache-Labs.  I love the rig and been operating
it for about 14 months.  Unfortunately, all of a sudden my rig stopped
transmitting.

So....

I tested the rig using the same PowerSDR application from a different
computer and then tried another software application.  Received fine, not
transmit.

I sent an email to Apache-Labs and was politely told that they didn't
provide support for components they didn't manufacture.   However I did
subsequently receive a note from Abhi offering to help troubleshoot via
email and possibly repair if I shipped it back to India which I really do
appreciate.  I was also contacted by Doug Wigley, W5WC, who told me that
Scotty Cowling at iQuadLabs repaired TAPR built Hermes boards.

I followed up Scotty (scotty at iquadlabs.com) and at his request shipped just
the Hermes board to him.  Scotty didn't find any problems with the Hermes
board, but gave it a through test (and at my request replace the RF micro
connectors that I had to install with the ANAN-10 kit).  The turnaround time
was less than a week and he works for a nominal flat fee ($50) plus parts.

When I got the Hermes board back from Scotty I tested it again with the
ANAN-10 amp and confirmed that the transmit was still not working.

I contacted Doug Wigley (the authorized Apache-Labs repair person in North
America) and confirmed that my ANAN-10 kit was out of warranty.  He offered
to fix the amplifier for a flat fee of $45, plus parts and shipping so I
shipped the now reassembled rig out to him the next morning.  He received
the rig, replaced the blown finals and shipped it back to me for less than
$75 the same day he received my box.

At this point I expect to receive my rig on Monday and I couldn't be
happier.

I want to acknowledge that I clearly understood the lack of a TAPR warranty
on the Hermes board from day one.  I also understand and have no issues with
the fact that Apache-Labs is only responsible for the parts I bought from
them.  I wanted to be on the leading edge of this technology and accepted
the risks that come with being the integrator on this rig.  Dealing with
getting the parts fixed as parts rather than a complete system is a
responsibility that belongs to the integrator.  Anyone who can't accept
this, has to wait for a manufacturer to offer and deliver a complete rig.  I
have no regrets in this respect and will consider doing it again in the
future.

I am truly grateful to have people like Scotty and Doug in the US that can
repair the things I screw up and the Apache-Labs decision to establish a
North American service point certainly makes them a viable and attractive
vendor for the future.

Bob, KO2F