[hpsdr] Database reset = loss of calibration data?

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Fri Jul 11 19:30:19 PDT 2014

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:22 PM, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:

>> I find myself needing to upgrade from mRX PS 3.2.10 to 3.2.17 and see
>> that at 3.2.12 there was an instruction to reset the database.
>>
>> Sorry if this is a dumb/obvious question, but when you reset can you then
>> re-import a saved database from the previous version (ie, suck the old data
>> into the new database format)?

Actually Ray (K9DUR if I recall) wrote a program to do this for PowerSDR
but then decided he was only going to support the Flex version of PowerSDR.

Still, it would be relatively easy to add a simple version number to the
database so that the software would look at the version number an not try
to load an incompatible version of the database thus ending the continuing
stream of, "I just loaded the new version and it must be broken because now
PowerSDR is going all kinds of weird stuff it isn't supposed to do and how
do I fix it," queries.

Or, better still, take each section (your calibration maybe?) and give each
section a version number. Now the software can load only those portions of
the database that are still compatible. OK, you would have to reenter SOME
stuff but not everything. That is only marginally more difficult than the
step above but still within reason.

But I guess the idea of a version number in the DB is really hard.

--
Brian Lloyd
Lloyd Aviation
brian at lloyd.com