[hpsdr] The problem with digital modes

John Laur johnlaur at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:16:19 PDT 2014

The actual ETSI published DMR standard does not specify the codec (in fact
it goes to great effort not to do it), though AMBE by all practical
measures is the only real thing that can be put there right now. Although
it likewise does not provide any good mechanism for codec selection or
negotiation either. But it does allow some latitude for advertising feature
availability, so in theory it should probably be extensible to allowing
Codec2 to replace AMBE without causing lots of interop problems should
someone make the effort. It certainly seems to be a much better engineered
protocol than D*Star though.

In general, I think that TDMA schemes are a good way forward for amateur
radio on HF, VHF, UHF  primarily because they can support pseudo-duplex
operation without the large duplexers necessary to support
frequency-division schemes inside of our narrow amateur bands. I hope that
future SDR hardware will be better suited to support TDMA modes (faster T/R
switching, better clocks, etc.) I don't see CDMA really having anything
interesting to offer in the amateur radio sphere.

73, John KF5SAB