[hpsdr] The problem with digital modes

David Holman aikidave20 at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 08:59:18 PDT 2014

Personally I don't think that TDMA or CDMA have a good place on the HF bands. The military uses those techniques with varying degrees of success on HF. I do think that digital voice is something that we need to do more of. There are waveforms that are compatible with the HF bands and work great.  Are they perfect, no, but developing new things has been the mantra of the Ham for decades. And we need to develop more HF compatible waveforms. And they don't need to consume more bandwidth than SSB or AM does now.

However the excuse that "a problem with trying to make that switch on HF is that such modes would be incompatible with the existing users of the bands" is is a crock of crap. You don't have to allocate special sections of of the band.  The FCC decided some time ago that digital voice is still voice and can exist in the voice sections of the band.  I hear that excuse all the time when I am trying to convince public service folks to use use DStar on their events. DStar and D-RATS are much more efficient at handling event traffic than FM Voice.  Just because someone might not have it, is is a crock of crap excuse for not having it as an option or using it. For those who find it incompatible there is nothing stopping them from joining in the fun.

Just my 2 cents

David, AC7DS