[hpsdr] 2014 Pacificon - Q&A

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Mon Oct 13 18:51:24 PDT 2014

Hello All,

2014 Pacificon was better that expected regarding the turnout we (Warren
NR0V and I) had at yesterday's presentation.

I did have some questions that I could not answer - the most pointed ones
were:

*)  When will the Gen2 hardware be available?
*)  Will the Gen2 Atlas2 backplane fit into Pandora?
*)  Should I wait to buy an OpenHPSDR system until the Gen2 hardware is
available?
*)  Can the Gen1 boards be plugged into the Gen2 backplane - and all will
be OK?

I stressed all should be compatible; but that I needed to talk to others in
the group to know for sure.

===

*) Is the Chirp Beacon better than WSPR?  (I am not an expert in either;
hence the way I answered this.  One is a beacon, one is not...)

We did have a good Q&A session after our presentation which we kept on time
even though the previous speaker delayed our start by 5 min. into our time
(I went through some of my slides fairly quick to keep us on time - and so
did Warren).

Warren may want to add to this thread since several questions came up after
we ended and people approached the podium.  We had two different small
groups of people asking questions after we had concluded.

We have e-mailed our presentations to Dave - they should be posted soon on
the pubs wiki.  I don't think anyone videotaped our presentation - there
was a person there from Pacificon that took pics - if I can get my hands on
those - we can add to the wiki.

Overall, I would conclude the conference was a resounding success.  The
MARS folks asked me if we had a booth; I said not this year but maybe
next.  We should think about that.  The show is back to San Ramon since the
Santa Clara Marriott got real expensive due to Levi's Stadium opening in
Santa Clara.

73's,
John
AJ6BC