[hpsdr] ANAN-100 sometimes no TX, after upgrade to 2.9b/3.0 and 3.2.19

Mike Sch. (IMAP Acct.) mike at s3com.net
Wed Oct 29 09:13:36 PDT 2014

I had been advised that my "too wide" and "distorted audio" transmit
conditions on my ANAN-100 (Win-7) were being caused by my then too-old
FIRMWARE 2.2 and POWERSDR MRX3.2.17 (7/3/14).

I upgraded to 2.9b and 2.3.17, as this seemed to be a needed thing to
do.  The upgrade has apparently introduced a problem, however: -Ten
percent of the time, I switch my ANAN-100 to TRANSMIT, the RX quiets,
the indications ALL show normal patterns and indications (panoramic
display, audio, etc. levels), but I have NO transmit RF.

Before this upgrade, I was running 2.2 and 3.2.17 (No random no-TX
problems at all!)
I upgraded to 2.9b and 2.3.17 (The no-TX problem began.)
I upgraded to 2.9b and 2.3.19 (The no-TX problem continues.)
I upgraded to 3.0 and 2.3.19 (The no-TX problem continues.)

This condition of NO-RF-POWER remains for as long as I keep the radio in
TX mode, so it is easy for me to browse and look at the expected items.
If I UN-key, then PTT again, my radio produces the expected RF power.

I also note that the ("resting" TX mode, no audio to the radio) DC
current draw in TX is MUCH LOWER when the unit is experiencing the no-RF
failure condition.  (In view of the no-RF condition, this is expected,
but the "normal" TX mode condition normally shows a couple amps, if I
press the PTT with no audio.)

I am now running firmware 3.0 on my ANAN-100, on Windows 7.
I am considering running  2.5 or 2.7 and 2.3.19

Now that I have a fresh installation of PowerSDR version 3.2.19, with
firmware 3.0, I must again report that the radio often does not always
produce RF power when I go to TX mode in SSB.  In fact, it appears to be
worse than before.

I have done the needed steps to excess when I have made the upgrades, I
believe.  When I loaded PSDR 3.2.19, as an example:
- I first manually removed the database and the wisdom files
- I used the control panel to remove PSDR 3.2.17
- I restarted the computer
- I installed PSDR 3.2.19
- I started the PSDR 3.2.19 app
- I RAN PSDR 3.2.19, allowing the FFT computation session
- I started the radio in PSDR
- I attached a dummy load to the radio
- I made test transmissions in SSB mode
- I see no RF at times, even though the PSDR indications are all normal,
except for the absence of RF
- If the TX session is OK at first, that radio will continue to
transmit; If not, no RF is noted

(1) I had run Firmware 2.9b earlier, but this was when I was running
PSDR 3.2.17, in error. (I had initially forgotten to load 3.2.19, due to
my troubles of getting the firmware app to work.)
(2) I am still running firmware 3.0
(3) I have now located the ANAN-100 firmware version 2.5 and 2.7; I am
considering dropping back to an earlier firmware version, possibly an
earlier PSDR version as well.  Is this a wise choice of action?

I ask this, as another fellow had mentioned to me on Sunday's ANAN-NET
that he had his RX and TX audio "burp" (his term) when he had loaded
2.9b and 3.2.19.  He dropped all the way back to 2.5 and 3.2.10 to
resolve his issue.  (I HAD BEEN at 2.2 and 3.2.17 before my bold
upgrades that have brought me the new and undesired "features.")

73;   -Mike-   K0JTA