[hpsdr] Status of Hermes Gigabit

Darren Long darren.long at mac.com
Thu Apr 30 15:00:32 PDT 2015

Neal,

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The unrealised potential of the
ANAN-100D wasn't a matter of discussion. That's what it is for me, a box
full of potential.  There was no point discussing features with G0KSC,
as I'd explained to him that I wouldn't be using any windows software
and would muddle my own way through making it "do stuff" as best I could
with whatever software I could muster or bodge.

I've been using gnuradio and assorted hardware for years, myself.  My
old USRP-B100 will fill a USB2.0 bus, as will my HackRF Jawbreaker
kindly sent to me for free by Michael Ossman. Both of them are faster
than a 100mbit LAN. I wonder why Ettus ever bothered switching to USB3.0
for their newer USRP devices. Gigabit Ethernet wasn't fast enough for them.

I really don't understand your position here. To me it seems a
no-brainer. I was under the impression that the need for gigabit
ethernet was a fore-gone conclusion with the proposed DFC technique.

What do you do with your radio? I have no idea what I'm going to end up
doing with mine yet. My imagination is still racing.  However, I can see
no reason why anyone would want to artificially limit the potential of
such a device.

Cheers, 73

Darren, G0HWW