[hpsdr] Status of Hermes Gigabit

Neal Campbell nealk3nc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:37:47 PDT 2015

Darren,
The guys came back and said that they have it working on 2 machines and
this is 2? years after they had started to work on it. I completely agree
with the comment that if it was an easy port over the current stack that it
would be great to have.

The scarcest resource (and biggest threat to the future of your radio) is
the time and talent of these guys. The worst case scenario is when they
don't love coming home and working on this stuff cause when it happens,
unless some other huge talent out there takes over, you have what you fear:
a dead-end radio.

They determined that the implementation wasn't such an easy port and there
are questions whether the current hardware could handle the load. They came
here and asked if it was really worth the effort.

I am just voicing an opinion. I voice it not from the perspective of the
guys that have been experimenting in the hpsdr group for the last 5 years
and dreaming of new things they could do, but from the guys who are buying
the radio from Gigparts or CheapHam because it has a killer receiver and
Puresignal. Since I have a lot of support contracts with these types of
hams, I know how difficult it could be to a network they don't understand
to begin with.

Each has an opinion, I don't discount yours just because you disagree, I
have a different perspective and I get my opinion also.

73