[hpsdr] Signal level discrepancy RA Utility / Multimeter

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Wed Feb 10 10:41:14 PST 2016

Hi Jim,

No real mysteries.  The DSP does the meter calculations based upon the
input "voltage" it receives.  It uses no correction factors. The console
adds various correction factors for things like the "gain" of the
digital hardware, calibration of the analog hardware, the attenuator
setting, etc.  While those are being applied to the S-meter, some of
them are not currently being applied to the RA utility ... which Joe
intends to correct.

Of course, there are other matters which one must take into account when
measuring noise such as it makes a difference whether one takes the
average of the log or the log of the average ... log of the average
being the correct answer.

73,
Warren  NR0V