[hpsdr] Signal level discrepancy RA Utility / Multimeter

DK4RW dk4rw at darc.de
Thu Feb 11 15:05:52 PST 2016

Warren, Joe,

Thank you for your explanations and your very useful hints to the software
details.
With my rather old signal generator of unknown level accuracy a level
calibration would probably do more harm than good. For my purposes a
reasonably accurate absolute level of the RMS power of different signals in
the passband is more than sufficient.
I am aware that FLEX and HPSDR code are completely different. However,
knowing no other "User Manual" I looked up the FLEX manual, as suggested in
the Hermes installation guide.

FYI, the adaption of the decimal separator in the output file to the local
separator definition does its job, as shown in this example:
time (seconds), Rx1 signal (dBm), Rx2 signal (dBm)
0,000, 0,000, 0,000
0,062, -84,565, -404,230
0,125, -84,780, -404,230
Excel, however, cannot differentiate between the comma as a decimal
separator and as a field separator. So it imports each line as text. This is
not a big issue, since with a few Excel text functions I extracted the
numbers.

In a previous thread, Georg, DL2KP, suggested adding date and time
information and comment lines to the data file. During my recordings I
missed these, too, and added them manually. The data format could stay the
same, just start time and date of the recording in a file header would be
sufficient for off-line calculation of the time for the data points. Comment
lines could be left empty so that the recordings start always at the same
line. I know, this is an antique way of doing things, but it would make
importing into a spreadsheet easy.

Thanks again for your help and the incredibly large amount of work you put
into the openHPSDR project.

73, Wolfgang DK4RW