[hpsdr] CW break-in ?

Joe Martin k5so at k5so.com
Thu May 5 07:02:16 PDT 2016

The option you describe originally existed with versions of HPSDR PowerSDR when the CW was being generated in the PC and worked exactly as you describe.  With implementation of FPGA-generated CW (to reduce latency) that switching behavior changed.

In the current protocol there is no control bit provided specifically to enable/disable break-in CW operations.  However, it may be possible for the PC software program to implement such behavior using the existing control bits (e.g., internal/external CW generation bit and disabling/enabling PTT in the software program, etc) but that behavior does not appear to be implemented in the current version of HPSDR PowerSDR as de-selecting the Break-In check box on the front panel of HPSDR PowerSDR has no effect on the behavior presently (the break-in feature is always active regardless of whether the check box is checked or not) when FPGA-generated CW is being used.

This is an issue that Doug W5WC might wish to try to address in a subsequent release of HPSDR PowerSDR using control bits under the present protocol or Phil may wish to consider adding a control bit to the current protocol document to explicitly enable/disable break-in CW ops in the firmware/software and the software/firmware modified accordingly to implement it.

73, Joe K5SO