[hpsdr] remote HPSDR operation whit VOX / PTT

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:49:40 PST 2016

Jim,

Do you have Ethernet (wire or fiber) between the tower and the shack? If
you do, I would suggest that the best way to do what you want is to fully
virtualize your configuration by putting the radio at the tower and the PC
in the shack and connect them by Ethernet. Then use VAC at the shack for
transmit and receive, attach a PTT switch to a serial port on the PC, and
attach a keyer to a serial port on the PC. Both such connections are fully
supported by PowerSDR. If you have any RS-232 controlled devices that need
to be with the radio, for instance a solid state amp like an Elecraft or
SPE, then use a Moxa Nport device server to remote that back to your PC as
well (the Moxa driver software is amazing--it makes it act just like a
local serial device, no fuss, no muss).

If you use a nice audio interface at the PC that supports the ASIO driver
(I use and highly recommend the Behringer UMC202HD) then, with judicious
adjustment of the various buffer settings in PowerSDR and a reasonably fast
PC, you can actually achieve latency over VAC that is LESS than that
obtained with a mic and speaker attached to the radio. It helps to remember
that all audio that is sourced at the radio itself must still flow from the
radio over the Ethernet, be processed through PowerSDR, then be sent back
to the radio over Ethernet, so the path for audio is somewhat lengthy.
"Short circuiting" it at the PC using VAC can therefore actually save time
given the right drivers and settings.

This is how I have my station setup and I use it every day like this.

As luck would have it, I am currently authoring a white paper on how to do
most of the above in somewhat more detail. I should have it out in a few
days.

73!

Scott/w-u-2-o