[hpsdr] PowerSDR, cuSDR and new GUI for HPSDR (Kjell Karlsen)

Steve Ireland vk6vz at arach.net.au
Tue Oct 25 21:04:36 PDT 2016

G’day

It has been interesting to follow the discussion in regard to the development of software for the various pieces of hardware produced through HPSDR and the commercial extension of this by Apache Labs.

As a scientific journalist  and ‘Igor’ to my great friend Phil Harman VK6APH/VK6PH’s ‘Dr Frankenstein’ in his explanation of basic SDR principles in the RSGB’s RadCom magazine and their extension into HPSDR development, there are a couple of basic ideas/principles that Phil works by which I think recounting here would be timely.

1. The development of open PowerSDR and the associated software/hardware is a hobby for all of us principally concerned in it

CuSDR is a fantastic piece of software development. Part of this is it has a wonderful GUI, but it is a fully integrated piece of software that Hermann DL3HVH kindly developed in his spare time until he developed a very debilitating and life-changing medical condition that meant he could no longer continue its development.

People should accept the development of CuSDR has stopped. It seems to me the only way this situation could possibly change is if a suitably skilled programmer is prepared to step forward and approach Hermann to see if he would consider handing over a copy of his code for future open source development.

I hope I’m wrong, but don’t see anyone rushing forward to offer Hermann their services.

2. If no-one volunteers to carry out a particular part of a development and then sees it through, it ain’t going to happen

The development of Open PowerSDR has been done by a a small group of very dedicated enthusiasts who give their time freely (literally) – take a bow Bill Tracey, KD5TFD, Doug Wigley, W5WC and Dr Warren Pratt, NR0V. Similarly, the hardware development has kindly done by a similar small group of very dedicated volunteers, of which Kjell LA2NI is one.

The software works well but everyone is a volunteer, with their own interests and abilities, which means that software development doesn’t necessarily proceed in a logical or straightforward manner.  If there had been someone who had volunteered to re-do the GUI side and had the knowledge, ability and time to complete this, it would have happened! No volunteer who could do this means no change in the GUI.

On a final note, for me, there is one thing that has - and will always - limit the development of software defined amateur radio – there are simply not enough people who are interested in writing software for it, have the necessary skills do it and are prepared to volunteer their services to do it.

However, thankfully there are a few who are – but we shouldn’t expect miracles from them, or that they devotedly do exactly what we want them to do.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ/G3ZZD

---