[hpsdr] Fwd: Using original Hermes or Mercury for eclipse recording on Linux

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 20:42:26 PDT 2017

HI Mike - there's a bunch of us planning to do just that.

gnuradio drivers for Hermes protocol 1 are located at:
https://github.com/Tom-McDermott/gr-hpsdr
Click the releases tab to find the latest.  The link
is the main project page - it shows how to install these
drivers.  These will record to disk in binary format or wav
format.

MIT Haystack has created modules for standardized data
format recording in HDF5. This allows tagging the files
with appropriate metadata so the files are self-identifying to
analysis software.
https://github.com/MITHaystack/digital_rf

John Ackermann, N8UR has some example flowgraphs
using the Haystack format, and instructions on where to
find the MIT drivers and John's flowgraphs.
https://github.com/TAPR/hpsdr_multirx

The disk recording takes about 3MB per second per
receiver at 384K. I've successfully run 4 Rx on Ubuntu
16.04 onto magnetic hard drive on a Core I7 computer
about 5 years old.

-- Tom, N5EG