[hpsdr] "FPGA Floor Planning"

Joe Martin k5so at k5so.com
Fri Feb 10 06:43:13 PST 2017

Hi Ken,

Yes, thanks!  Phil and I have learned by experience with our timing efforts how tricky it is to handle fast, wide data buses in the FPGA with regard to achieving suitable timing constraints.  Unfortunately, the floor planning option is not a feature that is available in the free versions of Quartus and we are reluctant to move toward a paid subscription of Quartus as that would be inconsistent with the “open” nature of the HPSDR projects.  So, even though it is harder to work with the free versions that don’t have the nice features available in paid subscription versions we’ve decided to keep to the free versions so anyone in the community can work with the firmware if they desire to do so.

73, Joe K5SO