[hpsdr] 10Mhz reference

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 07:33:16 PST 2017

Hi Glen,

The problem you describe can happen when the external 10 MHz input
reference to Hermes is not
actually toggling the logic.  This causes the Hermes FPGA to fall back into
a mode where it senses
that it has no 10 MHz clock of any kind and thus uses one of the on-board
oscillators to establish
10 MHz.  On my Hermes board when I tried an external reference is was
off-frequency by just
about the amount you describe.

There is a known problem with the Hermes external reference clock input
buffer.  I ended up having to
build a circuit to buffer that clock with a CMOS gate and bypass the
two-transistor buffer on the board.

Dick, K9IVB did a design that provides auto-detection and switching.  I
ordered some of his boards
from OSH Park, and built it up.  I did need to tweak one level on the board
to get it to work properly,
but (it's been a couple years) it was just a resistor change or something
similarly easy. Works great.
http://www.k9ivb.net/Hermes/index.htm

-- Tom, N5EG