[hpsdr] New Hermes 2M Board.

David Bridgham dab at froghouse.org
Mon May 29 09:04:06 PDT 2017

> While John, AC0ZG, provided an interesting and compelling argument for BGA FPGA parts, using such parts will effectively prevent us tinkerers from building our own units. Positioning and soldering BGA components is dang near impossible without specialized equipment which few of us tinkerers can access.

Would it work to split the design into two boards, one with the BGA FPGA
and some amount of support circuitry that could be professionally
assembled and one for everything else?

I'm working on a couple projects where I'm using a ZTEX
(http://www.ztex.de/) FPGA module along with a motherboard of my own
design to hold the I/O ports I want to have.  I'm not saying that ZTEX
modules themselves are necessarily the right thing for HPSDR, rather
that that hardware breakdown might work for people who want to build
their own boards and can consider the FPGA module in the same sense that
they currently consider an IC.

Dave