[hpsdr] New Hermes 2M Board

Steven Wilson wevets at gmail.com
Mon May 29 17:18:14 PDT 2017

Hi Folks,

I want to throw my two cents worth into the discussion.

First let me point out how this thread got started -

Kjell mentioned that Anan has stopped building the Hermes card and that
they are planning on a small re-design to take care of some of the issues.
Well -that sort of opened up the flood gates with all sorts of suggestions
showing up (and this post won't be different.)

There are really two possibilities going forward:

1) Basically - the redesign that Kjell has already suggested - one that is
really a small incremental improvement.
2) Something that is completely different - and we saw LOTS of suggestions
about that.

I suspect that #1 above is the practical approach and what SHOULD happen.

#2 above - well that takes a set of dedicated designers and is really
likely a major new project - whatever the final architecture.

With Thetis coming down the pike - it seems that the "new" protocol is
where we should aim if we follow #2.  I also think that maybe we should be
looking at the Zynq class solution if we want to go that way. Heck - the
Red Pitaya is already a proof of concept that this is a way to go.  For
those not familiar with the Zynq/Red Pitaya - the FPGA is running Linux!

High-end sampling controlled by the FPGA, along with other system functions
- and a Server written and executing on the ARM processors in the FPGA to
move the data out on ethernet.  Pavel's sdr-transciever-hpsdre.c code is
around 1200 lines long to implement the old protocol along with control all
the radio functions.  He pops out new SDRs like they are going out of style
- so this seems to be a pretty fast development path.

You folks are all about making experimentation quicker - and moving as much
as possible to the sofware. It COULD be argued that by rewriting the server
in C  as Pavel has done that he has got the best of both worlds between
Thetis and the old protocol... but that is my personal prejudice showing ;-)

Anyway - I want to encourage Kjell to move on with the original proposal -
likely I'll buy one!  However, I want to point out to everyone that
anything NEW really needs to have volunteers step up to push it. We're all
sitting here saying yeah - but do it my way - and not putting out own time
into it to make it happen.

Best wishes folks!

Steve KA6S