[hpsdr] How to configure a hermes IP connection?

Jim Lynch jim at k4gvo.com
Sat Oct 28 11:02:37 PDT 2017

On 10/28/2017 01:05 PM, Scott Traurig wrote:
> "I don't run Windows".
>
> Seriously? Is this a religious thing?
Sort of.  I don't like the way MS ran things.  They didn't play fair so
I'm not going to add to their coffers and I'm going to discourage anyone
else from doing so.  I've been a bit supporter of Opensource software
since the term came into common usage, or even before.

> I don't understand why people simply don't use the right tool for the
> job. That's like a "Windows guy" saying "Well, I'd like to have an
> open source PBX, but I don't run Linux so I'm not going to solve my
> problem with Asterisk." Or "I don't run Linux, so I'm not going to
> solve my open source surveillance problem using ZoneMinder." Both of
> which, btw, represent the pinnacle of capability in their respective
> arenas.
I have to disagree about Asterisk.  Freeswitch is a better but lesser
known alternative.  It is GPL and opensource.  Some of the Asterisk
developers started it.

> PCs are cheap. Disk space is cheap. Multi-boot capability is reality.
> Just load up the right tool for the job, in this case Windows and
> PowerSDR mRX, and get on with it. Worried about Windows security and
> stability--simple answer is don't let it touch the internet, better
> answer is learn something about Windows and how to manage those
> issues. It's no better or worse than managing Linux related foibles,
> just different.
>
> By the way, you could get the open source pihpsdr code and build it
> for your Linux OS. That would probably be the best you could do on
> Linux, but as it is intended for the computing power of a pi3 it is
> nowhere near as feature rich as PowerSDR mRX.
I might give that a try.  Or just fire up one of the Pis I have laying
around.  My only problem is that Ubuntu on the Pi is a real dog.  At
least running the standard benchmarks show it to be so. I'm not sure I
understand why, though.  Rasbian and Ubuntu use the same compiler and
libraries.

Thanks,
Jim.