[hpsdr] Pure Signal 2

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 09:57:33 PST 2018

First a disclaimer: I'm just a person that is active in the
openHPSDR/Apache Labs radio community. I am not an employee of Apache Labs.
Nor am I an open source software/firmware developer.

On to Sebastien's question: it is a bit confusing. However, consider the
following:

openHPSDR = a set of hardware, firmware and software designs that are open
source, and that work together to implement the openHPSDR family of
software defined radios.

Apache Labs = a for profit company that produces derivative hardware, based
on the original openHPSDR open source hardware designs, in accordance with
the open source licensing that applies to the original openHPSDR hardware
designs.

It should be carefully noted that Apache Labs is effectively a producer of
hardware *only*. Apache is not responsible for any of the firmware or
software that comprises those parts of the hardware they produce. All of
the open source software and firmware comes from a small team of highly
dedicated volunteers who do what they do for the love of the hobby. Even
the user manuals for the radios are created by volunteers. That said,
certainly it is in Apache's best interest to support those developers and
other volunteers.

In summary, what we have here is an ecosystem that used to consist
completely of pure, volunteer, open source hardware, software and firmware.
As the hardware became more complex, another entity, Apache Labs, stepped
in as a convenient source of that hardware in pre-built configurations.
Then Apache decided to evolve the hardware to more complex levels, with the
support and input from the open source developer community. The result has
much of the look and feel of a conventional product offering from a
commercial radio company, but really it is a symbiotic relationship between
the openHPSDR open source development community and a commercial hardware
provider.

At any rate, that's my understanding, which may or may not be 100% correct.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o

P.S. the particular adaptive pre-distortion linearization implementation
known as "PureSignal" is open source.