[hpsdr] Question(s) on the DFC board

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 08:02:31 PDT 2018

Jeff,

The Minerva board will stand on it's own, it replaces Hermes, Angelia,
Orion et al.

Minerva must be installed inside of a PC of some sort along with a CUDA
capable GPU.

It's also conceivable that a PC motherboard could be mounted inside the RF
unit, but a PC to host Minerva and CUDA capable GPU is required no matter
what (integrated or separate).

There will be a new, dedicated external RF unit to go with it. Interfaces
will be TX RF, RX RF and I2C control. Assuming the PC remains physically
separate, the RF unit will contain *only* the the equivalent of the PA/RF
board found in the current radio hardware.

There will be no external microphone or speaker connections. All of that
will/must flow through the PC. Those who have been using VAC to virtualize
their audio will have a big leg up on the learning curve compared to those
who continue to attached directly to the hardware.

Not sure about PTT or key/paddle connections. Those might flow through PC
serial ports (as is currently supported by PowerSDR/Thetis) or they might
attach to the RF unit and flow over I2C to Minerva.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o