[hpsdr] Yaesu AR-DV10

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Thu May 24 14:41:21 PDT 2018

Sebastian,

Tell us how you really feel.  Ha!  and Hi!

Yes, well, that reason is exactly why I still enjoy experimenting with the
Atlas Based HPSDR system.

In fact, I'm thinking, especially based on what I saw/observed at the Maker
Faire '18 this year, that having an Atlas-based HPSDR display operating at
the Maker Faire could be a good thing to get people interested - actually
seeing it work.

Note, with the chip from Analog Devices a unit that can do 70MHz and up is
possible - and a good candidate I think for a handheld SDR unit that can do
2m and 70cm for starters; and be an real SDR system.

I've seen a lot of verbiage on this - and claims that a battery powered
unit is possible; and there are papers with the phrase SWAP-C - meaning
Size, Weight, (and)Power and
Cost for those that may not immediately recognize that - and there's a good
introduction of what is possible here:

https://www.xilinx.com/applications/aerospace-and-defense/software-defined-radio.html

I've checked what's on the Intel site regarding Altera - and it appears to
be dated, especially regarding SDR.

I still feel that a grass-roots handheld SDR effort is worth doing.

73's,
John
AJ6BC