[hpsdr] Pure Signal RF Sampler

Richard Grubb richard.n.grubb at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 10:08:34 PDT 2018

I am wondering why the documentation on Pure Signal implies the use of a
directional coupler as necessary to obtain the required sample of the
transmitted RF. I can understand why that could be desirable when the
feedback was not adaptive, or where the sampler is remote from the final
amplifier.. However when the predistortion is being generated adaptively
I do not understand why a simple resistive non directional coupler would
not be perfectly satisfactory and much easier to implement.  The antenna
system should be quite linear and the voltage sensed adjacent to the
final amplifier output should surely always be a valid measurement of
the transmitter transfer function. Of course a directional coupler is
always useful to measure VSWR and is usually already present in modern
amplifiers, although often not readily accessible for use with Pure
Signal.

I have implemented Pure Signal on an ANAN 10, Juma 1000 PA combination
and used both the published directional coupler design and a simple
resistive pick off at the PA output with equally excellent results.

What am I missing?

Dick, W0QM, G3FNL