[hpsdr] Pure Signal RF Sampler

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 10:40:40 PDT 2018

You are not missing anything, Dick. You can develop the signal however you
wish, as long as you provide a signal whose amplitude is within the dynamic
range of the receiver hardware and algorithm.

People have gravitated towards the Xtronic coupler because it provides
ruler flat coupling response from 160M to 6M, which takes some of the
guesswork out of knowing if you are obtaining the proper feedback signal
levels, because the design is bulletproof in terms of power handling, and
because the insertion loss is quite small. Oh, and because they don't have
to build it and characterize it themselves ;-)

There are certainly a few folks who are using their own coupler/sampler
designs, LP-100 sensors, and other, similar solutions. The only solution I
don't recommend is the Clean RF sampler. Bump that knob the wrong way and
it's possible you could fry your receiver, depending on the power levels
you are running and how much additional attenuation you have on the sample
port. Maximum safe input power level to any port on Apache hardware
is +13dBm based on the component data sheets.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o