[hpsdr] NVIDIA Jetson Nano SBC - YouTube video

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 04:35:07 PDT 2019

Scotty,

Doing FFTs in a GPU or FPGA will not reduce latency. Our CPUs are plenty
fast enough. They have to be because we are successfully processing
real-time signals. The latency comes from the length of the FFT pipeline,
which of course is determined by the sample rate and the bin size one wants
to achieve in the FFT (or IFFT). Thus no latency improvement can be had by
using a faster processor when they are all already more than fast enough.

With all ancillary processing turned off (noise reduction on RX,
compression on TX, etc.), the openHPSDR firmware and PowerSDR, with
PowerSDR set to use the speedy min. phase FIR "low latency" filters,
latency is now approx. 20mS. This is commensurate with any conventional "IF
DSP" radio on the market and quite a bit faster than most if not all other
direct sampling radios except the Icom 7300 and 7610.

73!

Scott/w-u-2-o