[hpsdr] Help with Hermes VNA

Martin Emmerson martinhemmerson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 01:10:25 PST 2020

I am not sure what version of the VNA software for Hermes is causing your
problem but a
long time ago around 2013 I did some work on the original VNA code for
Hermes as it had
problems connecting.
I did this in conjunction with Phil Harman and I ported some code from the
"KISS Konsole"  and
with the addition of repeated tries to connect I got it working reliably
and I think this version
was published and had my callsign on the about box.
Then I found this version:
http://www.dxatlas.com/hamvna/
Which worked reliably with the Hermes and had no problems with connecting
but the remaining
problem is that while the Hermes is an excellent SDR transceiver it is not
a very good VNA!
This is because leakage between the TX and RX terminals, limiting its
dynamic range.
Made worse if you have the necessary RX/TX switching connected. Direct
connection to the
Hermes SMA connections, it is just acceptable.
I was so impressed with HamVNA that I modified the code to also work with
my dedicated N2PK
VNA.
Then I found NanoVNA available on eBay for less than £50 which goes right
up to 900MHz and that
is now my VNA of choice.
Just my view on the VNA for what it is worth.

73's

Martin G3OQD.