[hpsdr] Help with Hermes VNA

Helmut Oeller oeller at freenet.de
Mon Dec 7 03:23:39 PST 2020

Martin, thanks for your post.

It's John, W0GN, who is suffering from connection problems between
HERMES and VNA software after switching from win7 to win 10, not me.
Hermes VNA 1.6.0  as well as HamVNA 1.1 works fine on my win 10 machine.

Maybe it can be in the interest of others to reply on your further comments:

Of course you have to use HERMES exclusively with direct access to the
SMA ports for VNA operation. Moreover I would recommend to connect 10 dB
SMA pads to the port. A precise calibration set for open, short and 50
ohms and a good reflection bridge is essential for serious measurements.
Crosstalk or leakage is not so bad as you mentioned. Acceptable and
repeatable values are between 80 dB and 90 dB. That's far more than a
ham needs.

The 900 Mhz-NanoVNA and the new 3 Ghz-NanaVNA2 show approx. 30 dB less
dynamic range than HERMES! But they have a huge frequeny range and you
can't compare them directly. These cheap Chinese stuff - employing
western chips of AD and ST - are really nice tools for hamradio apps,
but not for higher standards.

73, Helmut, DC6NY