[hpsdr] A Couple of Dumb HW Questions

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 12:33:57 PDT 2006

Larry,
Some answers for your questions.

(1) JANUS is an interface board for the SDR-1000, so we're just replacing (and upgrading) the function of the host computer's soundcard. MERCURY will be using the Linear LTC2208 so it will be a significantly wider bandwith.
HORTON is another receiver with narrower bandwidth than MERCURY.

(2) Because the TI DSP is being used for SDX on EAGLE. Plus the development tools were provided by TI, AD or Moto/Freescale didn't provide their development tools (so it's a matter of economics). SASQUATCH is a slightly modified reuse of the SDX design.

The HPSDR wiki and the website have some good information on the cards and the logic behind their designs.

Yes, AD has some real cool ICs out there, a lot are being used for CASMIR and probably for HORTON.

Alex, N3NP