[hpsdr] A/D thermal

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 13 15:48:05 PST 2009

Hi,
Thanks for the solder information. I'll throw mine under the microscope and give it a close look. Yes, This could be a quality issue but I think I can save TAPR the trouble and reflow my part if there is a problem. My pad is pretty warm so I think the A/D was installed properly. Solder paste doesn't flow through the VIAs to the bottom. Adding solder and filling the holes will improve heat flow. Us as a group should have spotted the possible thermal issue before the board was produced. I say we cut TAPR a break because I value their support. Who is going to pay? We are hams here.
As Phil said the main heat path is out the bottom and needs a good path away from the part. I bet it won't take much copper connected to the pad to cool it down.  Frank WA1GFZ