[hpsdr] TAPR Production Update: Metis and Alex

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Fri Dec 31 10:43:55 PST 2010

Hi all,

Just a quick end-of-year update on the two current TAPR HPSDR
production projects, Metis and Alex.

Metis PCBs arrive the first week in January. We currently have one
part shortage that we are working on. We are scheduled for assembly
the second week in January, provided that we get the part issue
resolved by then.  I have a Metis prototype board that I am using to
develop the test procedure so that we will be ready to test
production boards as they come off the line.  Metis should be
shipping by late January to early February (unless we get held up by
the part issue).  TAPR is taking orders on the web page right now.

The final toroids have arrived for Alex (all 8,000 of them!).  Graham
KE9H will complete his testing of a board set built with the
production toroids this weekend. The board set then goes to John
Ackerman N8UR for extensive sweep testing before we jump into
production.  While Graham and John are completing testing, we will be
confirming availability of all of the parts. The relays are the
biggest concern, as we need quite a few of them. We may have to
modify the PCB artwork to accommodate different relays if we cannot
find enough of the current part number.  Production will follow close
on the heels of Metis, beginning in February. It will take about 8
weeks, plus any parts delays. Our biggest challenge during that 8
weeks is developing a comprehensive hardware test setup and test
software.  If everything goes well, Alex ordering will open on the
TAPR web page in late February or early March.

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous 2011!  It should be
a great year for HPSDR.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI