[hpsdr] FM squelch

Alfred Green nu8i at cox.net
Sat Aug 2 16:34:44 PDT 2014

On 8/2/2014 1:50 PM, Ken N9VV (Win-7/64) wrote:

> I am not sure that I can offer you a good explanation about this Alf,
> but you might want to use a calibrated signal source like the Elecraft
> XG-1 which emits a 50uv = S9 = -73db signal at 7040, and has another
> setting of -113db = S1 = ?uv with a switch.
>
> You can then know that your receiver is properly calibrated with any
> sort of input. I believe some of the more modern Elecraft calibrators
> allow you to select any frequency you wish.
>
> Perhaps you could substitute the calibrated signal for the IF signal
> coming from the transverter, and then adjust the SQUELCH on/off and
> level slider as needed to verify it's tripping levels in your setup.

Tnx for the comments, Ken.
The IF is well calibrated; in fact I have good sources through 10Gigs so
that is not the issue.
When you mentioned "adjust the SQUELCH on/off and level slider"  I had
an 'ah-ha' moment; clicking on the 'SQL: xx' box turns on/off the
squelch. I had forgotten that was a control, but it does exactly what I
needed.

Maybe I should just RTFM.

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I