[hpsdr] FCC and SDR

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Mon Oct 12 00:08:33 PDT 2015

Hello All,

Has anyone seen this:

46. We propose to modify the SDR-related requirements in Part 2 of our
rules based in part
on the current Commission practices regarding software configuration
control.93 To minimize the
potential for unauthorized modification to the software that controls the
RF parameters of the device, we
propose that grantees must implement well-defined measures to ensure that
certified equipment is not
capable of operating with RF-controlling software for which it has not been
approved. Our proposed
rules would require that all manufacturers of devices that have
software-based control of RF parameters
must provide specific information about the software capabilities of their
devices. The proposed rules
would also make it easier for manufacturers to implement software changes,
either under the initial grant
of certification or through subsequent changes. We propose to require that
an applicant for certification
must explicitly describe the RF device’s capabilities for software
configuration and upgradeability in the
application for certification. This description would include all frequency
bands, power levels,
modulation types, or other modes of operation for which the device is
designed to operate, including
modes not enabled in the device as initially marketed. Currently our rules
require such a description only
for devices approved under SDR rules or for devices operating in specific
bands. We further propose that
an applicant for certification must specify which parties will be
authorized to make software changes
(e.g., the grantee, wireless service provider, other authorized parties)
and the software controls that are
provided to prevent unauthorized parties from enabling different modes of
operation. This information
would be included as part of the operational description information
required in the application for
certification. We seek comment on these proposals.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-15-92A1.pdf

The comment period has been extended.
Comments can be posted here:
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=15-170