[hpsdr] Problems with direct connection PC-OpenHPSDR

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Thu May 30 11:39:15 PDT 2019

George:

Any modern NIC will invoke Auto-MDI/MDIX protocols which have virtually
eliminated the need for crossover cables. Also, there will be no
performance improvement from using a switch.

Kjell:

You obviously have a router attached to that switch providing DHCP
services. You should have mentioned that. That is how the SDR card is
getting 10.0.0.61 automatically when attached to the switch. Your PC will
also get an address automatically that way.

Also, it would appear that you had the PC wired port set up for DHCP/APIPA
and a fixed address in the SDR card. That will not work when using APIPA.
The PC wired port will eventually settle on 169.254.x.x and that is not
going to work to talk to an SDR card with an address of 10.0.x.x.

The EASIEST and generally SAFEST way to connect these things is to always
use a switch and router and let the router hand out addresses to everything
automatically via DHCP. This will not work for more complex situations
(folks who want remote access, etc.), but people who want to create more
complex network solutions generally understand what they are doing by
definition.

73,

Scott